If you’ve just been in a pedestrian-car accident, you’re almost certainly feeling pretty shaken up. Of course, a pedestrian car accident is something no one wants to be the victim of, but accidents do happen. Fortunately, there are things you can do following a pedestrian-car accident to ensure your injuries get treated promptly. A personal injury attorney in Bolton can help explain these laws and their implications for your case to give you the best chance of obtaining compensation after your accident.
Below are some tips to help you get through a pedestrian-car accident as stress-free as possible. This will help minimize your risk of experiencing a long-term injury and maximize your chances for a full recovery.
• Call 911 immediately. If someone has been injured or killed, don’t leave the scene until help arrives. It’s important to stay until emergency services arrive because they will need information about the incident to treat victims and investigate what happened. To understand how this process works, contact a lawyer.
• Take pictures of the accident scene and your vehicle if it was damaged during the collision. You should also take photos of any skid marks left by other vehicles involved in the crash and any debris that might have fallen off their vehicles onto yours during the collision. These photos will be critical evidence later on when filing your claim against another driver who caused the crash.
• Get names and contact information from any witnesses. Ask them to stay if possible so they can give their statements to the police officer who arrives on the scene. If there are no witnesses, write down everything that happened as soon as possible after the accident and keep it with your other essential documents.
• Don’t admit fault or apologize for the accident unless doing so is absolutely necessary. While it may seem common sense, many people do this without realizing it could negatively affect their ability to recover damages from another party responsible for causing their injuries.
• Seek legal advice. A lawyer will guide you through collecting evidence from all parties involved, file relevant paperwork with the appropriate agencies, assist with settlement negotiations, attend settlement hearings with you if necessary, and represent you in court if necessary.
An accident can change your life in a lot of ways. It can be hard to manage the pain and anguish of a car or pedestrian accident, but you need to be aware that these are all things that have been known to happen. The bottom line is that if you’ve been a victim of a pedestrian-car accident, you should reach out to a lawyer that can best assist you at this time.